Bishop Wilton, Past and Present    


The full set of census returns for Bishop Wilton from 1841 to 1901 is available for reference on microfilm at the Beverley Local Studies Library (see Sources).

As the houses in the village weren't numbered until about 1935, it is difficult to associate people named in the census returns with particular dwellings. Fortunately, farms, shops and prominent houses (like the Vicarage and the School House) are named.

Analysis of the census returns has been begun. A report on salient details from the 1901 census by Andrew Sefton was published in the 4th Local History Bulletin (on paper!) in July 2003. See it here now.

See our Introduction to Family History for more links to census information.